Royalty through the ages have been attributed with coining many quotes; in battle and even in their own court. Here is our list of the top 15 quotes from members of the Royal Family, past and present.
“I know I have the body of a weak, feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too…I myself will take up arms, I myself will be your general, judge, and rewarder of every one of your virtues in the field.”
– Elizabeth I, Speech to the Troops at Tilbury.
“When I’m dead that boy will ruin himself within 12 months”
– George V on his son, who became Edward VIII. Edward abdicated in the first year of his reign to marry divorcee Wallis Simpson.
“Nothing that can be said can begin to take away the anguish and the pain of these moments. Grief is the price we pay for love.”
– Elizabeth II in a message to the USA after 9/11.
“I don’t care what kind it is, just get me a beer!”
– Prince Philip, after being offered wine in Rome in 2000.
“I’m glad we’ve been bombed. It makes me feel I can look the East End in the face.”
– The Queen Mother in 1940 after Buckingham Palace had been bombed.
“I go from a corruptible to an incorruptible crown, where no disturbance can be, no disturbance in the world.”
– Charles I on the scaffold just before his execution in 1649.
“It was with some emotion…that I beheld Albert—who is beautiful.”
– Victoria, on meeting Prince Albert, her future husband at the time.
“I may be uninspiring, but I’ll be damned if I’m an alien!”
– George V after hearing that HG Wells called his court ‘alien and uninspiring’.
“My father was frightened of his mother; I was frightened of my father, and I am damned well going to see to it that my children are frightened of me.”
– George V on discipline of his children.
“I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great Imperial family to which we all belong.”
– Elizabeth II, 21st birthday speech, committing herself to her then future role as Sovereign of the United Kingdom.
“I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations.”
– Elizabeth II, 1957 Christmas Broadcast to the nation.
“All these questions about do you want to be king? It’s not a question of wanting to be, it’s something I was born into and it’s my duty, wanting is not the right word. But those stories about me not wanting to be king are all wrong.”
– Prince William, 21st birthday interview with the Press Association.
“You are a pest, by the very nature of that camera in your hand.”
– Princess Anne.
“I really hope I can make a difference, even in the smallest way. I am looking forward to helping as much as I can.”
– The Duchess of Cambridge post-engagement interview.
“The highest of distinctions is service to others.”
– George VI.
[box style=”rounded” border=”full”]If you have any quotes to add, why not post them in the comments box below.[/box]