- Zara Phillips is the eldest granddaughter of HM The Queen and is the only daughter of HRH The Princess Royal and her former husband Mark Phillips.
- Zara is 14th in line to the throne, coming after her brother’s youngest child Isla Phillips and just before the late Princess Margaret’s son, Viscount Linley.
- As a child of a daughter of the Sovereign, Zara is not automatically entitled to a royal title by birth like children of sons of the Monarch would be. Despite this, Zara and her brother Peter could both have been given titles, but haven’t. Even on the occasion of her wedding, when Zara was asked about receiving a title, she said she and her husband simply refused.
- Zara married England rugby player Mike Tindall in 2011, shortly after the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. After their wedding, Zara said she wasn’t going to assume her husband’s name socially, though it has been listed as ‘Mrs Tindall’ formally, including in the line of succession to the throne.
- Unlike her cousin, Prince William, who married in a state ceremony in April 2011, Zara chose to wed her husband in a small church along what is known as the Royal mile in Scotland (the mile of road between Edinburgh Castle and the Palace of Holyroodhouse) in a private ceremony.
- Phillips is an accomplished horsewoman. As a member of the Great Britain Eventing Team, she won a Silver Medal at the London 2012 Olympics and was presented with her medal by her mother, The Princess Royal.
- Zara has certainly had her fair share of sporting injuries. On 25 October 2008, she fell from her horse, Tsunami II, at the 15th fence of a cross-country event at Pau, France, and broke her right collarbone.
- Zara holds an MBE in her own right for her equestrian role. In 2007, she was independently made a Member of the Order of the British Empire, the honour was then awarded by The Queen to her granddaughter, among the other recipients of honours on that investiture day.
- Phillips doesn’t perform royal engagements in the way that members of the Royal Family do, including her own mother, and is one of the few higher-ranking members of the Royal Family to enjoy a relatively normal lifestyle. Zara previously lived in Cheltenham but recently moved back to her mother’s estate Gatcombe Park in Gloucestershire.
- Phillips was voted BBC Sports Personality of the year in 2006, the same year in which she enjoyed great success in winning at the Eventing World Championship in Aachen.
More in Other Royals
- The strange and the bizarre – what gifts the Royal Family received in 2015
From a bag of salt to some Weetabix, every year, gifts which members of The Royal Family received over the past...14th January 2016
- BBC sparks outrage after new documentary which makes claims against the Queen Mother
A new BBC drama documentary which is due to air on Friday 8th January, has been met with widespread condemnation by...4th January 2016
- Princess Anne was 2015’s hardest working royal
The Princess Royal was the hardest working royal last year, having conducted 544 engagements, more than any other member of the...1st January 2016