The Queen has sent a heartfelt message to the people of Canada following Saturday’s train crash in the Lac-Mégantic town in Quebec, Canada.
“It was with profound sadness that I learned of the tragic events that have befallen the town of Lac-Mégantic,” the monarch said in a statement. “The loss of life and livelihoods has shocked us all.”
The accident has taken the lives of at least five people after runaway wagons, which were packed with crude oil, derailed leading to a huge explosion, destroying over 30 buildings and leaving the town devastated.
“Prince Philip joins me in hoping that in time it will be possible to rebuild both the property and the lives of those who have been affected,” the Queen added.
Signing the statement with ‘Elizabeth R’, the 87-year-old monarch ended her message with “My thoughts and prayers are with you all.”
Canada’s Prime Minister Stephen Harper has described the area as looking like a “war-zone,” after visiting the town.
“This is an enormous area, 30 buildings just completely destroyed, for all intents and purposes incinerated,” the Prime Minister said. “There isn’t a family that is not affected by this.”
Earlier this year, Prince Philip visited Canada as part of a royal visit to the country. The Duke of Edinburgh made a brief visit to Toronto to present to new colours to the 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment.